Monday, July 26, 2004

A New Direction

I got a letter in the mail today from Animal Care Center saying that even though I would probably be a good addition to their staff, they found someone more qualified for the position. Which is what I expected. I probably would have been sadder, if not for....

The fact that I already got hired by another emergency pet hospital earlier today. It's the one that my step-mom works at, which should be cool. I'll be working Tuesday through Friday, 5:30 - 12:30, and Saturday 12-4 (although my step-mom told me I could probably get more hours on Saturday if I wanted). I'm starting at $10 an hour, but after my training (about a month or so), I'll make $12 an hour. That's $2.25 more an hour than I'm making right now. So I'm stoked about that. I'll also have Blue Shield medical, and a 401K (they don't match what I put in it, unfortunately, but I'll take what I can get). So I start in two weeks. I gave my notice at my job today. It was kind of sad. I've worked with my co-workers for 3 years, and I'll miss them. They're good people. My problems with my current job haven't been with my store, it's been with my company. However, I am a music addict, so I'll still be there all the time. And I'll probably pick up some shifts during Christmas.

That said, I'm stoked. I finally feel like I have a job which has a good chance of being a career for me. I can go on to get a vet tech license, and I could even go on to become a full blown doctor of vetenairy medicine. Then again, I could go on to get a masters in ecology and go into a whole different field. The point is, for the first time in my working career, I feel like I can actaully go somewhere with my job. Like I said, I love my store, but retail is a dead end job. Sure, I could become a manager and then a DM or an RM or whatever, but then I'd become the people I loathe. I'm not stupid enough to think that I could become a DM and not be like all the other ones and change a company for the better; thath's something that has to occur and the ownership level (which, if I ever become wealthy enough, I will start my own music store).

So, I'm excited about my new job. Sure, it's going to be tough; I'm going into a field where I have hardly any experience (book smart but not skilled in any of the tasks), but that will make the job even better. Who wants to be in a job that doesn't challenge you.

Now, it's time to drink Kirin and watch Cabin Fever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You _get_ me those horse tranquilizers, hear me!?

-Matt

thatbeernerd said...

They only come in suppositories. And they're the size of a small melon. But we all know you can take on objects that size, now don't we?

Anonymous said...

Clearly you've confused me with you bunny. And we all know you can smoke anything...even rectal suppositories (preferrably, but not necessarily, before usage).

-Matt