Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Amazon.com has a new store dedicated to the Criterion Collection series of DVDs. The stuff I want from there: anything by Kurosawa, Spinal Tap, and the Killer. Kurosawa films, no problem. The other two? Tap is $100 and the Kill ranges from $200-$300. Ouch. Still, it's cool that someone finally has a special section for these movies. My goal in life: at one point, I wouls like to see every movie that has a Criterion Collection. I figure, there's a reason that it has one, so I should probably see them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why's everyone always so built up about Criterion stuff? They brush it up a little and slap a label on it so that you're pre-disposed to like it. Other than the new coat of paint so to speak, how's that any different than the Academy Awards telling you what's good and what's not?

thatbeernerd said...

It's not really different at all. I didn't mean to imply that just because a movie has a Criterion collection doesn't mean that it's good. It just means that I'd like to check it out. I will agree that Criterion DVDs are for the most part overpriced, whether in print or out of print (I mean, for god's sake, who would really pay $300 for a fucking movie. Not me). But, like any movie that's nominated for Academy Awards, I am still interesed in checking them out. They may very well suck, but I still want to see them.

Another note: if you're not a member of blogger.com and have to post anonymously, could you please leave a name tag or something. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to know who I'm conversing with. Thanks.